ODBC Driver on Windows 64bit clarification

February 28th, 2012 | 7 Comments »

From a Jonathan Monroe suggestion I posted this comment few minutes ago, but it’s very important so it deserves a separated post:

In order to use ODBC with a 32-bit application (such as MS Office) on 64-bit Windows, you have to install the 32-bit driver. In order to configure a DSN for the 32-bit driver, you have to use the 32-bit ODBC Administrator, located at:

c:\windows\sysWOW64\odbcad32.exe

A DSN configured using the default 64-bit ODBC Administrator will not be recognized by 32-bit applications. More information about this situation is available here:

It is important to understand that you have to use the 32-bit ODBC Administrator on 64-bit Windows if you want to use the driver with MS Office or any other 32-bit application.

7 Responses to “ODBC Driver on Windows 64bit clarification”

• jharris says:

Hi Marco,

I’ve read the information at MSDN and created a DSN using the 32-bit ODBC Administrator, but still get the following error:

I get this error from VS 2010, Excel 2007 and RealBasic 2011R4. Maybe I am doing something wrong? Both drivers are installed on my machine. Why would the error message have two slashes after SysWOW64?

Regards,
    jharris

• jharris says:

Also I have looked in the SysWOW64 folder and there is no cubeod32.dll.

jharris

• Brandon says:

Same here… I am have no luck using MS Access 2007 on Window 7 64bit. I have installed 32bit and 64bit driver. I have successfully configured a system DNS using c:\windows\sysWOW64\odbcad32.exe but then when I try to connect to it using MS Access I get the exact same error as jharris listed above…”Specified driver could not be loaded due to system error 126: The specified module could not be found. (cubeSQL ODBC, C:\Windows\SysWOW64\\cubeod32.dll).”

I have tried to used odbcad32.exe to configured a file DNS but I can’t get that to work. Didn’t know if it would help anyway.

On the bright side, odbcad32.exe seems to successfully connect to cubeSQL but I wish I could get it to work with MS Access 200.7

• Brandon says:

Any updates on this? I sure would like to try it!

• jharris says:

I gave up trying… just waiting to hear something also.

• a says:

No, same error over and over with different libraries. Just cannot get an ODBC connection to access 2007 even with the drivers downloaded and installed and rebooted several times.

\lib\adodbapi\adodbapi.py”, line 298, in connect